real estate and property management consultants

Frequently Asked Questions


If you have a question that is not answered below, please send it to Michael at


  • Q: Which Mobile Home jurisdictions do you cover?
    A: Any mobile home jurisdiction in California.

  • Q: Where can I get a copy of your rental agreement?
    A: We provide rental agreements and other forms to our clients in connection with consultation about specific situations at their properties.

  • Q: Are you available for expert witness testimony?
    A: Yes, in selected cases Michael does expert witness work.

  • Q: Where can I get a copy of an article or report you wrote?
    A: See the Articles & Reports section of this website. Hard copies of Michael's reports, "Fair Return and the California Courts" and "Rent Control in Perspective" can be purchased here.

  • Q: Can Berkeley tenants be evicted?
    A: We are not attorneys and cannot do evictions or give legal advice. But we do advise about tenant matters, can help property owners know when eviction is the only remaining option, and can then make appropriate referrals.

  • Q: How can I get help with a budget and reserve study for a TIC or condominium project?
    A: We can prepare budgets and reserve studies for small
    (< 5 unit) projects.

  • Q: Do you advise tenants?
    A: No. We advise property owners. There are others in town who advise tenants.

  • Q: Can rent ceilings be increased in Berkeley?
    A: Yes, sometimes. There are limited ways to increase rent controlled rents.

  • Q: Can one sell multiple unit property as Tenants in Common?
    A: Yes, it is now possible to sell property to owner-occupants in this way.

  • Q: What do you charge for mediations?
    A: We apply a sliding scale to mediation work and can do pro bono mediations in some cases.

  • Q: Are condominium conversions possible in Berkeley these days?
    A: Yes, any multiple unit property in Berkeley can now be converted to condominiums.

  • Q: What is the cost of condominium conversion?
    A: There are three cost categories: i) the cost of conversion itself (roughly $30,000 for 2-4 unit conversion projects), ii) the Affordable Housing Fee, due upon eventual sale of each condominium created (4 or 8% of sale price), and iii) the costs of repairs following the City of Berkeley inspection.

  • Q: What are your hours?
    A: Phone, email, and fax: any time.
    In person at Berkeley or North Coast Office: by appointment.


return to the top


St. John & Associates


2115 West Street

Berkeley, CA 94702-1947




P.O. Box 338

Mendocino, CA 95460-0338



Fax 510.845.1813